Elias R. Wightman's map of the Benjamin Rigby League showing the Contraband Trace running north and south along the east side of Rigby's League.
A downloadable copy of the complete booklet "The Early History of Montgomery, Texas" published for the 175th anniversary of the founding of the town of Montgomery, Texas in July of 1837.
Enlarged map showing territory of the Lake Creek Settlement between the west fork of the San Jacinto River and the stream known as Lake Creek.
Additional primary source information in support of a Texas Historical Marker for the Lake Creek Settlement. Lake Creek Settlement was the earliest Anglo-American settlement in what is today Montgomery County, Texas. The Lake Creek Settlement was located in Empresario Stephen F. Austin's Second Colony in the Mexican State of Coahuila and Texas during the Texas colonial period and in Washington and Montgomery counties during the Republic of Texas.
List of documents proving the existence of the Lake Creek Settlement in Austin's Second Colony, in the Washington Municipality, in Washington County, and Montgomery County, Texas. Some of these documents show that the town of Montgomery, Texas was founded and located in the Lake Creek Settlement.
Early Republic of Texas mail routes [Route 1 and Route 14] going through Lake Creek Settlement via W. W. Shepperd's store.
Map showing the location of the Lake Creek Settlement in what was Empresario Stephen F. Austin's Second Colony in the Mexican State of Coahuila and Texas during the Texas colonial period.
Elias R. Wightman's map of the Raleigh Rogers Rigby League showing the Coushatta Trace and Grimes Road.
1831 Map and English Field Notes prepared by Elias R. Wightman showing the traces and roads crossing through the lands that became the Lake Creek Settlement including the Coushatta Trace.
On May 17, 2016, the Montgomery ISD's Board of Trustees named the new high school, Lake Creek High School.
Article on the founding of Montgomery from the John Corner land grant to the store of W. W. Shepperd on Lake Creek, to the town of Montgomery as county seat of Montgomery County, Texas